a wandering woman writes

Monday, August 08, 2005

That explains it

American? That explains it!! You want to destroy everything, just like Señor Bush.


Quote from the waterheater repairman who, on arriving to figure out why I had been living without hot water for a month, discovered that I was opening the tap ALL the way. Hard.

Open this tap halfway and you can have all the hot water you want, as it turns out. Something about pressure.

I waited a month of cold showers for that advice.

But I did like the Bush quote.

------

And his closing comment, delivered with a huge, friendly grin:

Anything else in the apartment you need me to explain??


I got the feeling he desperately wanted to give me a class in how not to mistreat Spanish appliances.

************

Catchy Spanish saying of the day:

Se me ha ido el santo al cielo.

Literally, something like: The saint has gone to heaven on me.

And it means? You've forgotten something. That great idea or brilliant thought you had on the tip of your tongue just a second ago is now nowhere to be found.

I've grown quite fond of it, although in the annoying way I have of mixing up my languages, I keep catching myself thinking "dang it, my saint took off" in English.

Doesn't quite carry the same punch.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • LOL, this post is hilarious ¡¡¡¡

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • hi! i'm here via alicia, and i'm going to add you to my blogroll right away!

    i love your blog. congratulations for it!

    By Blogger betta, at 2:40 PM  

  • jejeje, yeh I thought it was the best line I've heard since moving here. Know any funny older guys who repair calderas, Alicia? Could be him!

    And thanks for the plug, Alicia, and the comment, Betty! Salamanca gives me lots of good stuff; I just write it down...

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:49 PM  

  • Hi, funny post. I've been wandering the blogosphere looking for fellow ex-pats all over the world, always love stumbling upon them! It is nice to see how experiences differ and how they are the same.

    By Blogger melusina, at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home